I’m not an expert in numerology, although I find numbers fascinating and feel they can help bring awareness to the patterns in our lives. In my December newsletter, I mentioned that 2015 represented an eight year (2 + 0 + 1 + 5). The number eight (8) relates to money, power, balance, focused positive intentions, and resilience. A bunch of my newsletter readers asked me to post about the numerological significance of 2016. This new year is a nine year (2 + 0 + 1 + 6 = 9). I did a bit of research and thought I’d pass along these interesting insights into the number nine. You can keep them in mind as you move forward in 2016.
The number nine (9) is considered the number of:
- Completion of a cycle
- Global consciousness
Nine (9) possesses magical powers that no other numbers have:
- If you multiply any number by 9, and add the resulting digits into a single digit, the number always equals 9.
6 x 9 = 54 —> 5 + 4 = 9
7 X 9 = 63 —> 6 + 3 = 9
- Add a few numbers together —> 7 + 2 + 5 + 1 = 15
Subtract the total from the original number —> 7,251 – 15 = 7,236
Add the individual digits together —> 7 + 2 + 3 + 6 = 18
Add the digits in the total together —>1 + 8 = 9!
Special attributes of nine (9) in different communities:
- Hebrews see nine as a symbol of truth.
- In the New Testament of the Bible, there’s mention of the “nine fruits of the Spirit” (Galatians 5:22). They are (1) Love, (2) Joy, (3) Peace, (4) Patience, (5) Kindness, (6) Goodness, (7) Faithfulness, (8) Gentleness, and (9) Self-Control.
- Hinduism considers nine to be the number of Brahma – the Creator.
- In China, nine is an auspicious number. When number nine is spoken, it sounds like the word for “long lasting.”
To me, the numeral nine (9) looks like the golden mean spiral. If nine represents the completion of a cycle, the numeral nine resembles a close. The numeral six (6) also looks like a spiral, but it looks like the beginning of a phase rather than the end of one. If you’re not familiar with the golden mean spiral, you can learn more here . The golden spiral—aka golden ratio—occurs in living organisms (new plant growth, human body, sea shells) and non-living organisms (breaking waves and the structure of the galaxy), and illustrates numeric patterns that impact all of us.
So how does this numeric information translate into your new year? Here are three tips on how the number nine (9) can help move you forward:
- Keep Breaking Down Your Challenge: If challenges pop up, remember the magical qualities of the number nine. Consider looking at the issue as you would a math problem containing the number 9 (see above). Keep breaking down your obstacle into bitesize, manageable possibilities, and trust that you’ll end up successfully achieving your goal.
- Feel the Curve: Completing a cycle, or transforming yourself in any situation, requires being receptive to creative inspiration and implementing those ideas into positive action. Sometimes change can feel overwhelming. The numeral 9 is curvy and soft. If you find yourself in a tight corner, soften by not beating yourself up, by resting and recharging yourself to get back in alignment with your original purpose.
- Appreciate Your Connections: The patterns in nature and within us show how we’re all connected in some way. If you’re looking to create something new or change an existing pattern, don’t feel you’re in it alone. Ask for help and seek out like-minded people who can assist with moving you forward.
If your 2016 isn’t going as spectacularly as you’d like, make a fresh start on the Chinese New Year on February 8, 2016. This is the year of the Monkey—the monkey is known to be clever and smart. Coincidentally, the monkey is in the ninth of the twelfth celestial branches of the Chinese Calendar.
Wishing you and yours a powerful and positive transforming 2016 with the help of the magical number nine.